|Marine Dimensions > School visits and tours > Primary level > Indoor workshops|
The Marine Experience
Our Marine Experience workshop is a wonderful indoor option for schools. We provide an interactive display with authentic marine realia, bringing Ireland's fascinating underwater world into the classroom. Props range from whale bones and lobster claws to starfish and shark eggcases. The highlight of the visit is our travelling touchpool, giving the pupils a chance to engage with live sea creatures!
The workshop includes:
- An interactive display with shells, whale bones and stunning images of Ireland's marine life.
- A touchpool containing live sea creatures, including starfish, shrimp, anemones, crabs and sea snails!
- A follow up resource pack for teachers with worksheets and quizzes.
- An online learning element on the Education Resources page at marinedimensions.ie.
- Qualified marine biologists and environmental educators to answer all those awkward questions!
- Participation in our marine conservation projects, eg. our shark and ray eggcase sightings scheme.
The workshop is also compatible with the following curricula and programmes:
- SESE curriculum: Living Things, Environmental Awareness and Care.
- Green Schools Programme; Theme 8, Global Citizenship – Marine Environment, Theme 3, Water and Theme 5, Biodiversity.
- Discover Primary Science Scientific Awards of Excellence; Step 2, Visiting Scientist and Step 4, Explorative Activitiy.
The workshop on the day involves setting up the display in the school hall. Children are then guided through the touchpools and specimens by two marine biologists, with groups of up to 12 children spending 15-30 minutes at the stand (we can take up to 36 children per hour). Each group of 12 is then divided into two subgroups of 6 with each subgroup then alternating between touchpools and biologists.
Suitable for all levels, Jnr. Infants - 6th class, including special needs. Children must be supervised by staff at all times.
If you have any more questions or would like to book a visit, please give us a call at 01 2828876 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Creatures that frequently feature in our touchpool
Site Development by thedesignpool. All Rights Reserved.
Site Hosting by thehostingpool